Tuesday, December 15, 2015

12/13/15

guarded.

show me how you built them.
i won’t ask you
                          to guide my hands.
feel free to just rattle off words,
syllable by syllable,  
                                brick by brick.
it’s okay to be quick.
i’m a fast learner with a long way to go.
you’ve got walls,
                             i want a fortress.
(considering castles, a moat maybe)
but it’s okay to start small.  i just know that
no one needs in here anymore.

tell me about your armor.
you can hold me
                            at arm’s length if you want to.
i understand it’s easier.
i seem to like the hard way.
charge into battle
                              heart first, headstrong, no helmet.
i can’t be that afraid of getting hurt.
(but God does it hurt)
so maybe it’s time to defend myself.  after all,

i’m not beautiful enough to break you.

No comments:

Post a Comment