Monday, May 25, 2009

Night (posted to Facebook on 7/8/08)

*Originally a poem for a project on the book Night by Elie Wiesel that I did in 9th grade. We were to underline phrases from the book and make a poem out of them. So this is dedicated to Elie Wiesel himself for the phrases themselves.*

An endless night.

Refusing to be apart,
We walked to our doom,
The same smoke over all our heads.

The assassin's face told us,
'Tomorrow's another day;
Hell's not for eternity.'

Our eyes shone with hope
Though we were but ashes,
Our eyes pits of terror.

We cried in one grave voice,
'Yitgadal veyitkadach shme' raba:
May His Name be blessed and magnified.'

But then we saw Him--
God, hanging on the gallows
Within the corpse of a sad-eyed angel.

In the anteroom of Hell,
He left like a wind-swept shadow,
And hope followed soon after.

Then, I touched Death
And argued with Death;
It filled me with a great void.

I won't forget
That hopeless darkness
Or the silence that murdered my dreams.

It deprived me of the desire,
That longing for life
And turned my life into one long night...

An endless night

No comments:

Post a Comment